15 Aug 2016

Pencil Door Sign for a Teacher Gift

Today I'd like to share a layered paper crafting project with you using the Pencil Monogram svg cutting file from Sanqunetti Design. I used the file to make a dimensional door hanger which would make a great back to school or teacher gift.





STEP 1: Colour the File

I coloured all the pattern pieces in accordance with the accompanying jpg file; necessary because, in the current version of the Silhouette software, SVGs from certain design software display in black. I opened the jpg version in the design window and use the colour picker (eye dropper) to 'copy' the colours onto the svg.

STEP 2: Adapt the Monogram
Instead of adding a monogram I added text using Laura Worthington's Ed's Market font.





STEP 3: Preparing the item for hanging
I made an offset of the entire pencil to cut from heavy-weight card to provide a strong backing for hanging the item. Then I made matching holes in the eraser end (pink) and the backing piece to provide attachment points for the hanging ribbon.





STEP 4: I set up a print and cut page for the monogram piece and 2 copies of the backing piece to print on the printer and then cut on the Silhouette.





STEP 5: I cut the remainder of the pieces from the appropriate colours of American Crafts textured card stock, and the bow centre and wording from vinyl (the colour of the printed version had turned out to be a poor match). The centre of the pencil was abandoned in favour of score lines and dimensional sticky pads. The other pieces and layers were adhered using liquid 3-in-1 paper glue. 





STEP 6: It then only remained to tie on a matching ribbon and to adhere the bow.




Variation: With the addition of an extra hole, a set of matching card pieces to form a back cover, some pages and three hinge rings, this same svg file could easily be transformed into a great little album for school photos.

The file is available now from the Sanqunetti Design store. 




I think it looks quite cute. I hope you like it too.



2 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Janet this is brilliant any teacher would love this for their room. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Janet Packer said...

Thanks Jackie, yes I think so too x.