7 Oct 2017

Glow in the Dark Mug with the FREE "Boo!" file from the Silhouette Design Store




Hiya! Today I'm bringing you a quick project using the FREE design of the week from the Silhouette Design Store.


I used the BOO! file by Silhouette.  It is free until a new free file is posted on Tuesday 11th October 2017. The SVG version is free too, so it can be used with other software and cutting machines.

This file is a regular cut file, and the parts can be ungrouped and cut separately.

I decided to decorate a mug using the word "BOO!", cut from glow in the dark vinyl. This is usually used for wall and door decals, but it works fine as a temporary decoration on this Halloween-themed mug.






Supplies Used

Silhouette Glow in the Dark Vinyl
Silhouette Transfer Tape
Black Mug (mine was from Tesco)

I reduced the size of the parts to about 7cm to fit easily on one side of the mug, and deleted the cobwebs and dots.

The glow in the dark vinyl cuts like regular sign vinyl, and I used the suggested settings with the AutoBlade in my Silhouette Cameo 3, then removed the unwanted vinyl and transferred the remainder to the surface of the mug with transfer tape, just like regular vinyl.

In bright light the vinyl shows as white with a slight greenish hue. When the lights are turned out the vinyl glows.  The better the quality and intensity of light, the brighter and longer lasting the glowing effect lasts.



This is a fun, seasonal item to make for Halloween events, and the vinyl can later be removed so that the mug can re-decorated for another occasion.

Have you made anything that glows in the dark this year?







6 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

ooooo spooky Janet hahahaha looks fab

Gr Karin

Shabneez said...

I want one! Shabneez x

Tracy Welham said...

Very cool! Sorry I haven't been by recently a massive DT project and over a week with a sore throat and cough has seen me without much time or at my best. Creative Blessings Tracy x

Janet Packer said...

Hope you're feeling better now Tracy x

Janet Packer said...

Thank you Karin x

Janet Packer said...

Lol, if you lived closer I'd pop one round to you!